The Canadian Tech Podcast – Ep. 76 – Sunday, June 26, 2016
Sponsored by Olio Digital Labs
Hosts & Guests
- Stuart Clark
- Derek Silva
Thanks to techdoz.ca for the loan of the snowball mic.
- Googling medical symptoms may no longer convince you that you’re dying
- Google makes it much easier to use 2FA on your account
- Twitter beefs up machine learning chops, buys Magic Pony
- How much havoc is caused by unwanted radio signals? FCC tries to find out
- Global Internet commission: Leave crypto alone, ditch opaque algorithms
This Week in Olio
- Wrapped up and launched the SAP Hybris/Sage 300 order gateway and custom time tracking software
- Helped launch the new Real Sports online store at shop.realsports.ca
- Now based on Shopify, but we were asked to help with all the customization that still needs to be done with code, like the mailing list sign up forms,
- Moved one last client’s email to a new server, which allows us to shut down an old server we have been using
- Our hardware for a prototype device we’re building has begun arriving from Adafruit and a few vendors we found on Aliexpress
- Several new leads, including a mobile app and an online learning platform
Back to News
- Dropbox launches a new way to scan documents with your phone, and other sharing features
- You can now livestream right from the YouTube app
- Solar Impulse 2 completes world’s first solar-powered Atlantic flight
- Netflix offline viewing could launch by the end of the year
- Canada Post mulls drones for mail delivery
- Strategy to boost student skills touted by Wynne
Stuff We Like
- Stuart – Tweeten – Twitter desktop “client” for for Windows
- Derek – Openvid
- Openvid is an easy way for anyone to quickly record their screen, mic, and (if you want) front-facing camera on any web page. If you want to easily QA your new mock ups, give feedback to a friend on their site, or create a quick tutorial for your product, Openvid will let you do that for free without having to worry about video storage, upload time, or recording time limits.
What are you up to lately?
- Stuart – Unpacking the house continues. London Public Library Board work and this podcast.
- Derek – I’ve been diversifying CleverHost’s SSL certificate offerings the last couple of days, looking to launch a dedicated SSL certificate vending site, coaching my son’s soccer team, and looking at volunteering with a non-profit once soccer season’s done.
Don’t forget to review us on iTunes, Pocket Casts, and wherever you get your podcasts. Please RT our tweets about new episodes on Twitter, and tell a friend!