CTP Ep. 87 – Monday Sept 19th, 2016
Sponsored by Olio Digital Labs
Hosts & Guests
- Stuart Clark
- Jamieson Roberts
- Jon Pilon
Thanks to techdoz.ca for the loan of the snowball mic.
- VMedia’s IPTV service is coming to Roku devices in Canada
- Starting September 16th, however, VMedia is launching a dedicated Roku app in Canada, allowing users to stream 20 live television channels, including content from both Canadian and U.S. networks like, CTV, CBC, Global, ICI, TVA, V, CBS, NBC, ABX Fox and PBS, all in high definition.
- The service is available via a free seven-day trial with a regular subscription costing $17.85 per month. VMedia says that the subscription requires no contract, hardware installation or credit check.
- While VMedia landing on the Roku is a great move by the company, launching multiple apps with similar design language across platforms like the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and even the new Apple TV, would have even more impact for Canadian cord cutters.
- Several iPhone 7 Models Sold Out Ahead of Launch Day
- If you were hoping to walk into an Apple Store tomorrow and buy an iPhone 7, you may be out of luck. A statement from Apple suggests demand is outstripping supply. The Plus models are all gone—and good luck getting anything in Apple’s new jet black color.
- “During the online pre-order period, initial quantities of iPhone 7 Plus in all finishes and iPhone 7 in jet black sold out and will not be available for walk-in customers,” Apple said.
- iFixit iPhone 7 and 7 Plus teardown reveal bigger Taptic engine, new barometric sensor
- Lots of glue for water resistance.
- 3 GB of ram
- iOS 10 is (officially) out. The good, the bad, and the ugly
- [Pre recorded OLIO AD]
- Adblock Plus’ ad network is off to a rough start
- There is a easy way in the plug in options to disable it, but many people switching to uBlock Origin.
- Amazon and Pandora to launch new music streaming services
- Rumors say the traditional price of $10 per month could be broken, possibly to $5 per month.
- Google to announce new smartphone Oct 4th
Stuff We Like
- Stuart – Nothing this week
- Jamieson – https://www.sleepcycle.com
- Jon – World of Warcraft: Legion – AKA my 2nd job
What are you up to lately?
- Stuart – Working on some library board stuff. Trying to find time to get more unpacking done.
- Jamieson – Playing around with Laravel!
- Jon – Secrets, all the secrets…
Don’t forget to review us on iTunes, Google Play, or wherever else you get your podcasts. Please retweet us when we tweet about new episodes on Twitter, share them on Facebook and Google+, or tell a friend!